Tim Shontere was 18 when he left for the missions field.
I'm 18.
He never had that calling, that one moment where God was just like, flashing neon sign, audible voice, "TIM, MY SON, GO TO PAPUA NEW GUINEA." He didn't need God to call him because God had already called him. He tried not to listen for a while, but then he just went. He didn't know, he just followed.
I am called to the missions field. That's a scary thought. He's already called me, I just haven't been listening. Right now, though, I think my missions field is Ceramics and the AP Bubble. It's Kasia, Celeste, Alex, Ashley, Sebastian... I love them all so much that it hurts. This is the love of Christ, right?
Tim was also talking about how it might not be the right time to share Christ with someone. And at first the thought was that that was crazy talk, we need to be telling the world about Jesus right here, right now. But how can we show them His love if we just throw facts at them? Even if we mean it in the most sincere attitude of the heart, they could take it as just a notch on our Bible belt, just to tell them that Jesus lived, died, lives. No, I won't just tell them about how Jesus loves them, I'll show them. I won't scorn them when they go drinking, partying, and blazing. I'll be the only one who sticks with them when they make both good and bad choices, just like how Jesus is with me.
But, oh man, the harvest is plentiful. I mean, it was just yesterday that in Ceramics our table was discussing what happens when you die, the validity of doubting God, and the regulations of Lent. It's Lent. Easter and Good Friday are coming up. The Spiritual world is so clearly seen, even in the cloudy secular air. Yes, the workers are few, but that just means that God will use me that much more.
Okay, so I'm super shallow and this has nothing to do with your post, but: Fall 2007 I had two linguistics courses with Tim's sister Melissa and she and I are super tight. I actually hung out with her on Sunday afternoon in Simi Valley.
ReplyDeleteSorry I didn't get to see you before leaving. Let's shoot for August. I'm running off to my own missions field for a while...
A song from a couple at my church: The harvest is ripe, but the workers are few.
ReplyDeleteYou are called to minister to those in your life, it can be either through facts or actions. But when we look at the life of Christ, we see that his love was ultimately shown by his actions. His wisdom was shown through his words. You have all those things, and opportunity is waiting. It's more of our flesh holding us back. Our heart wants to minister but our flesh has doubt and insecurity. Just pray that God will speak to your heart and that your heart's actions will override the doubt of your flesh. I've been battling through this as well. I went to Africa to minister, however when it comes to my backyard or even my own home it tends to be much more difficult. I guess the harder the push (pray until something happens) the bigger the breakthrough.
ily <3