Ben,
Thomas,
Selah,
Torrie,
Cassie...
But Garrison will forever be my favorite.
I babysat for the first time in my life, down at Brea Baptist. One little girl's name was Selah, and I thought there was Divine irony in the fact that Selah Girls Bible Study was canceled tonight, so I got the chance to babysit a 3 year old named Selah. And then there was a Torrie, when my Torrey interview is in a week.
Garrison, though, is, to me, why God made children. He looked like a young Matt Bushyeager, or perhaps RJ, and the first words he said to me all night were "But Jesus will always heal us." He was the one who listened the most when I spoke, he held my hand when Bonnie and I tried to convince the other kids to play duck, duck, goose, and he sat on my lap and snuggled up to my body when he had me read him four children's books, a few of them twice.
Selah was adorable, too. She got so excited when she saw her dad. She ran screaming and giggling into his arms and it was just what daughterhood is supposed to look like. She was quiet and inquisitive and intelligent and not just well-behaved, but fresh air when everywhere else was muggy with Ben's screaming.
I want a Garrison and a Selah.
A little late on this one.
ReplyDeleteThis blog makes me so happy, it's probably one of my favourites from you.
I watch the kids at church, and how innocent, spunky, imaginative and caring they are, really warms my heart. They love God, they are willing to learn his stories and to put it to practice. It's adorable. I'm teaching Sunday School now, as well as helping in the nursery, such a great feeling. Especially when they get on your lap, give you book and ask you to read it to them. Then, they'll drift away into a nap, so so so cute.
I want to be a mother so bad.