Today was the last match of the season. It was a given that we would beat Santa Fe, and Christina and I were given the opportunity to play second round instead of third.
We were up 2-0. Then 2-2. Then 5-2. Then we wound up at a 6-6 tiebreak. A tiebreak that the Santa Fe girls pulled out to win. My last game of my high school years and I lost 6-7.
But that wasn't the depressing part. As soon as the four of us walked off the courts, the Santa Fe team was cheering and jeering their win. Of one set. And so Christina started in, but I had to stop her. "No. We keep our dignity no matter the score."
It's about being loving and humble even when everything in us screams out to be bitter. Not being bitter is really hard for me. I get angry and when the anger fades, I'm bitter. But it's something I've learned I have to let go of. Because ob la di, ob la da, life goes on, it has its ups and downs, and getting stuck on the dry years and forgetting the rainy ones won't do us any good.
I guess those are my words of wisdom for the night: Keep your dignity no matter the score.
No comments:
Post a Comment