Today I had nothing to do sixth period. So I climbed into my dad's truck and starting reading. But I was tired from the AP Lit test. I didn't get past the Prologue of Invisible Man, so I closed it, reclined the seat, and closed my eyes to the muggy and warm two o'clock skies.
When I opened my eyes at 2:45 everything was different. My feet were pressed against the windshield and my faced buried in the chair. There was a chill in the air and the clouds were moving. The sky was white and gray and I loved it. I rolled down the windows driving home, and it was a cold you don't expect in Whittier. It was a cold you expect in a place with mountains and trees.
The change came so quickly. And was so desperately desired. A little rain could help California so much. Clear the air, grow the grass, recover our spirits.
And so it did in me. I didn't see the change, just like I didn't see the clouds roll in and take over the sky and clear the air with the breeze. But it's undeniable that it's there. Undeniable that my heart is at peace with what is and has stopped grappling for what isn't and what shouldn't be. And I'm as grateful for this change in my heart as I am for the change in the skies.
No comments:
Post a Comment