Friday, July 31, 2009

Spiritual Gifts

So, after being kind of spiritually attacked by demons Saturday night, on Sunday I found myself at Chipotle talking to a friend about the spiritual level of life that churches tend to forget. Spiritual attack, spiritual gifts, all of the above. And she knew what God had gifted her with and it bothered me that I didn't know what God's given me. I told her I didn't know, but that I'd been praying. And then, in typical Jennifer style, I blurted out that I was thinking it was maybe that I was the confidante, the one everyone went to just to talk to, not even knowing fully if I believed this to be a possibility.

This was Sunday.

Tuesday I interpreted a dream and discussed the resulting situation with a friend. We talked for an hour about life and his tendencies and what he needs to do.

Wednesday I could tell something was wrong with another friend as we were stuck in traffic on the 5. And that night we texted back and forth for an hour before giving up on that awful medium to talk on the phone for another hour about his friend issues and cliques in the youth group and everything in between.

And so, I got to thinking, that maybe God really has given me the gift of confidante. Is that a gift? Is there a list of gifts somewhere in the Bible, in Acts or something? I've read the New Testament, I don't remember it... But really, my mind goes back to times over the past 3 years or so (because remembering things longer ago takes more effort...am I getting old?) of when friends would just talk to me and bear their soul and ask for help. And originally I thought I was all cool for being the one they went to for advice, and now I just pray desperately every time that God speaks through me and that no word is my own.

But, 2 days after I say I think I might be the confidante, the advice giver, then comes my chance to give advice and be confided in. Maybe, just maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Spiritual gifts inventory: http://www.buildingchurch.net/g2s-i.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems in the moments where we are tested to help others or are involved in difficult situations, is when our gift shines though. I think it's amazing how our Creator helps our gifts to shine the darkest moments of confusion, denial and pain.

    I will say however, you do have a remarkable gift in advice. Wisdom flows through you, and it is evident.

    ReplyDelete