So Robert Bishop talked about "God and Government" today. He urged us to submit to the government, but more so to be patriotic because of Romans 13:1-7. At the end he kind of added in "don't be defined by this, make God most important, but still submit to America." And it kind of challenged me, but not in the good way. I think we get it backwards a lot. I think that no matter what I choose to believe politically, I have to put God first, and then if I engage myself in patriotism and singing "God Bless America" in a church (really, that happened! I was disgusted.), it just feels too much like idolatry. Really, I have enough idolatry in my life without adding a country on to that list.
I mean, maybe I'm biased because I adore Shane Claiborne and think Jesus For President is an amazing book and the idea of loving people outside these country borders is genuinely inspired.
But the context of Romans 13:1-7 must be considered. Paul was writing to the Romans, the believers in Rome, who were being persecuted heavily for their faith in Christ. And he tells them to submit to the government that wants to kill them. What kind of crazy idea is that? But it's not "obey them because God put them over you as good rulers," it's "submit to them because God put them there for His Divine purposes. Maybe you won't come out alive, maybe they aren't doing a good job of governing at all, but God has a purpose beyond that of what you can understand." Paul was telling them to love, not to hate, to do good and not to use their faith and their God as an excuse to do evil. "Oh, I can break the speed limit because I'm forgiven." Wouldn't that sound ridiculous? If someone said that to me I don't even know how I'd respond. That's the point.
These Christians were being killed by their government and he told them not to rise up and kill to keep from being killed. Paul is telling us to love those who persecute us, and sometimes it's the government that persecutes us. Hate is a vile thing, and to objectify politicians as a government lends too easily to hate. Never forget that humanity is made in the image of God, made to and for love.
You can make Romans 13:1-7 an argument for patriotism, but I submit to God more than any man made institution. God first. He tells me to submit to the government, so I will, but I will not obey if in the process of obeying, I lose sight of submitting and loving my Lord. My focus will never be the politics of life, my focus will be Christ.
Jesus submitted to his government, and through that he paid the ultimate price for us. Yeah Paul had written this verse after Christ, but Jesus knew that as a citizen he was to respect his government regardless of the heinous crimes they commit. Involving the coin, Jesus asked the crowd whose face was on it, It was Caesar, the governor that they needed to respect regardless.
ReplyDeleteAs for politics, we need to pray for our politicians we are given a responsibility through the grace of God to pray for our government that they may be led in his righteousness.
I gave this link to my history teacher last year after studying 'God and Government,' I think you might enjoy it.
http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=2324