Saturday, October 11, 2008

Oh, College

So I've been praying about college. Mostly which school I should go to. Because I kind of defaulted into a Biblical Studies major. I mean, my faith is hugeee. Jesus is the most important person in my life. I want everything to be centered around Him. So I figured that Biblical Studies is the clear choice. Where else would I best hear the voice of God than in a Christian school studying Christian themes?

Well I woke up this morning, after having a dream about studying for my upcoming Econ test in Bath and Body Works, convinced that I should become a High School English teacher. Entirely convinced. I was also really sure I would get married, but that is another story addressing another insecurity.

But an English teacher?

I thought the desire would fade throughout the day, as I drove out to LAX and back, recycled 40 bucks worth of plastic and aluminum, and ate enchiladas at my aunt's. At least it would be gone by the time I cozied up with my dog and watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. But the opposite effect was realized. I couldn't stop thinking about it throughout the day. And I kept finding motifs and symbols in the movie.

So now I'm confronted. Is this God speaking to me, telling me to be an English teacher? At first I think I can't have any influence for Christ as an English teacher at some public institution. But then I remember Coach LaVigne, the English teacher/Oasis Mentoring overseer. He is the most generous man you will ever meet. He's got the love of Christ down. I have seen God's love evidenced through this man more than anyone else I've ever met.

And now I'm considering calling up Tiffanie at APU to tell her to switch me to an English major. These are the days I wish His voice were more concrete.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, does APU give you a mandatory Biblical Studies minor, like a lot of Christian schools? Cause that would seriously clear up some confusion...the minor covers a lot, and it's good, and you could still be an English teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just how you want to put your faith first, so admirable. I have no idea how the school system works down there, but either way follow your heart with the wisdom and prayer. Also, I think you'd be a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete