Friday, September 26, 2008

Doubles Partners

I am loud, bubbly, intense, and laugh when I miss the ball. I yell out directions to my partner and know just where to stand to intimidate the other team into double faulting. I sometimes hit the rim and get a little deflated, but a few shots later I'm back and ready. I'll run diving at a stray ball and hit it over.

I feel like I need a partner who will do the same. Who will flow with me and cover the half of the court I just sprinted away from. Who's behind me when I'm at the net to volley back those smashes that I miss. Who can hit a bomb serve just when it's what I need to see.

But instead I have a quiet, shy, pessimist of a partner who swings and misses, too. We're right of the same caliber. We have our good days and our bad days. We get pessimisstic together and we lose together.

Part of me wants to blame her and part of me wants to blame me and part of me wants to ask Coach for a new partner.

But I know that we're partners for a reason deeper than that Alissa's Dad's decision. So I'm going to take this and use this and be Christ's love to this girl, to the coach, to the girls, to the parents, to the other team, even.

2 comments:

  1. you're so amazing and humble.
    others would just explode.
    but the grace of God definitely follows you.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need a Williams sistah to be your partner...

    I'm up for tennis on Sunday if you are! I am meeting with someone from 2-4, but after that I'm free-zer. Let me know if it works...

    And as far as working through that particular thing...definitely still sorrow there. Def. But I guess I've scrapped off the ickiness of the past few weeks - the discontent with God and the world. I'm still angry at injustice, but I'd let it become all consuming. I was a bear at the concert...trying not to drown in discontent...THAT is what I am free from.

    I love you, darlingface.

    ReplyDelete