Sunday, June 22, 2008

God Bless The USA?

[Girls State 08]

God Bless the USA?

I've always thought it sounded a little presumptuous. I mean, "God bless the USA?" Only the US? What about Europe and Africa and Mexico and Russia? And bless us? Hasn't He done quite enough already? I mean, there's the fact that we have lungs to breathe and speak and sing, fingers to wiggle, a nose to wrinkle, brothers, sisters, mentors, friends... And yet we ask for more?

I mean, really.

It is in moments like these, moments where people tear up at patriotic songs, that I realize that I pledge allegiance to something more than fabric stars, more than geographic boundaries, more than a president. I place my faith in something deeper than a government. My hope is not in a country, but in humanity. In faith, in love, in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment