Wednesday, June 18, 2008

After Your Heart

We’re after Your heart, never going to stop until we reach You
After Your Heart--Phil Wickham
Today we have substituted doctrinal belief for personal belief, and that is why so many people are devoted to causes and so few are devoted to Jesus Christ. People do not really want to be devoted to Jesus, but only to the cause He started.--My Utmost for His Highest
And I don't want to be devoted to causes. I don't want to be in love with To Write Love on Her Arms or Invisible Children or Selah or sharing my story or reaching out to my friends for Him. I want to be devoted to Him. I want to love Him. The difference is focus. If I'm devoted to causes, then my focus is on my progress (see: superstudent). It's a pride thing. But if I'm devoted to Him...it's a humility thing. It's giving myself over to whatever He will do with me, wherever He will take me, not just this place I've gotten comfy with. Real devotion, I think, is being uncomfortable with comfort, with complacency, but always striving to know and love Him more, even if the process hurts.
“What I have learned is that the deeper you go, the more painful it gets.”--Rob Bell
It's going to hurt. It's bound to if it's worth it. Nothing ever worth it was ever very easy. But there has to be this realization that yes, it's going to hurt, but oh man, it's going to be worth it. Finding devotion, finding love, finding life, it's not easy. But it's so very worth it.

I will find devotion to Christ alone. Not to the ministries, but to Him, to his heart.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with you, love.
    It's a personal matter, from the heart rather than group efforts.
    Yes, they are all fine and dandy but it's focusing on strengthening the individual relationship that shows true devotion.

    ReplyDelete