My dad forced me to cook for my family for a year. At the time, it definitely was something that was forced upon me: I had no choice. I was in Tennis, had a part time job, took 3 AP classes, and was super involved at church. Now I had to grocery shop? Plan? Cook? Dishes? That's at least an hour of my life every day. How was I supposed to be the mother of my household and be a Senior in High School? Really?
And then somewhere in between I learned to enjoy it. Incorporating leftovers into the night's meal so as to save money and kill the planet a little less. I joked that cooking would be the thing I'd miss most when I moved out, but I wouldn't miss it much, because I'd be in the land of lofty dreams known as college.
The other day a friend of mine came over to my house. We watched Ice Age and I helped her with her English extra credit. Plans for dinner were never made, so I decided that we would have spaghetti: easy, fast, yummy. While my mom was out buying ground beef, I started the water to boil, just to expedite the process. And when it boiled I added the spaghetti. And when my mom brought the ground beef to me, I threw it in the skillet. And all of the sudden I was cooking again and adding pepper and green bell peppers and tiny doses of garlic, using my big blue dutch oven. It was the best spaghetti I've had in 3 months and it reminded me of how desperately I miss cooking.
Yesterday I looked at a cookbook that a friend bought me for my birthday, and I found at least 15 recipes that I'm looking forward to trying out over Christmas break.
Why am I an English major when all I want to do is cook? Oh well, I can cook and read books. My life would be happy.
Why am I am English major when I all I want to do is play music and take pictures? Some questions go unanswered.
ReplyDeleteBut cooking is the rest remedy, even as stressful as it can be. Creating something that can unite people and create memories. It's a wonderful feeling. I love cooking.
Thank God, I'll still be at home while at college so maybe I'll be able to whip up some dishes.
Cooking is a creative outlet when English becomes nothing but essays. So keep cooking your hobby and English your job. ;)
ReplyDelete