I feel a little selfish saying that I won't miss Linens N Things. Selfish because I didn't even apply for it, it was just given to me. It was a blessing--money exactly when I needed it. Entirely from God.
But I won't miss the haphazard lunches thrown together ten minutes before running out the door. I won't miss the fifteen minute commute and constantly worrying about the gas I'm burning. I won't miss picking up leftover starbucks and cokes strewn throughout the store. I won't miss staying late to recover. I won't miss Jaime's overbearing stare as he watches me rewrap some sheets. I won't miss the khaki pants, the white shirt, or the red apron. I won't miss the oppressive tennis shoes. I won't miss folding towels for upwards of two hours. I won't miss the dust in the towel room that makes my nose burn. And I definitely won't miss the music.
I don't think I'll even miss the paycheck. I mean, it's not like I even had time to learn to rely on it. I paid for Hume and a shopping trip at C28. That's it.
There is one thing I'll miss, though: the people. I'll miss running across the parking lot with Darquisha, hoping we can make it to Panda Express and back in half an hour. I'll miss Daniel's odd music trivia as we take down a display bed. I'll miss Zach's smile and Lauren's sweet nature and Michael's helpfulness. I'll miss Josh's promises to teach me how to dance as we both sneeze in the towel room, getting to know him all over again. I'll miss Aja and the ring I gave her. I'll miss Crystal's smile as she brings us a pack of pens. I'll miss Gloria and the presence she has. I think I'll even miss some of the customers, the ones that make you smile and the ones that are sure to say thank you, even if you were no help at all.
If nothing else, this job has taught me that I don't want to be involved with something so trivial. I want my life to be more than folding sheets and organizing towels. I want my life to make a difference, not just to blend in to get the almighty paycheck. You can have my paycheck, I just want Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment