All of a sudden (as in, over the past year), all of my closest friendships have had to deal with issues. I get annoyed with people. They annoy me. I annoy them. I annoy myself. We all annoy each other. And it's not petty things like "I don't like how she chews her gum," it's more like "I feel devalued when she pays more attention to facebook than to me as I ask her for serious advice on something that's heavy on my heart."
I never dealt with any of this stuff before college. All of my friendships went swell. Well, no. Most of my friendships went swell. The only one that ever had any annoyances/arguments like the ones I deal with now, well she wouldn't call me back all summer. But in high school, yeah, I dealt with friendship drama. But it was always them. They got sick of me. They moved on to new friends. I was always there, always faithful Jennifer.
And now I find myself having really high expectations for my friends because they have proved themselves worthy of these high expectations. And they don't always reach these expectations. And I get frustrated and angry at their incompetencies and I don't know what's causing this all. Maybe it's their (and my) sleep deprivation. Maybe it's a cyclical thing for either of us. Maybe it's something else entirely.
And part of me wants to say that we're just growing up and relationships get harder and living with people is hard and seeing people all the time is hard and all good relationships have rough spots.
But that's just stupid. I want relationships to work. And to work easily.
It's probably not stupid. I'm just a little angry.
What was that? I'm sorry, I was on facebook....
ReplyDeleteI think it is both a sign of (im)maturity in the friends who ignore you for FB, and a symptom of our culture. I'm really, really, really sick of our techno culture - people fb-ing on their iPhones while they're in public and you're trying to have a convo with them - WHAT THE HELL? Leave it at home. Be where you are.
I completely relate, darlin'...! Take heart!
ReplyDelete